Wednesday, June 04, 2008

girls weekend in cleveland





this past weekend I have had a lot of time to reflect on my mission since I was hanging out with two of my fabulous companions in Cleveland. Not only were they my mission companions but they are my dearest friends. We often tell each other that one of the reasons we went to Peoria, Illinois on a mission was to meet each other. I served with many wonderful companions. They each taught me something. As I was flying home from Atlanta this morning (after missing my connection last night and staying over) I remembered when I came home from my mission and reported to the high council and there was a person who asked me this question, "Do you have any regrets?" This was my reply, "The only regret I would have had is if I hadn't gone on a mission." and of course I got all emotional. There are many reasons why I served a mission. Many things I gained from my mission. I feel privileged that I had the opportunity to serve in Illinois and to share the gospel message, and to bear my testimony to probably hundreds of people but the most important testimony that was born was born to me . As I shared my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and of his atonement and the restoration that was accomplished through Joseph Smith I benefited way more then our investigators. I know I made a commitment to Heavenly Father before I came to earth that I woud serve as a missionary. I was fearful of going because of my weaknesses but I did feel angels accompany through my good and bad days. It was a small sacrafice to serve for 18 months but I know this prepared me for things that have happened in the 10 years I have been home and is the foundation I continue to build upon. Leckie and Rawlings thank you for letting me feel the missionary spirit again as we talked and shared stories of our mission and visited Kirtland and the sites out there. And my dear sweet Leckie you don't even know how proud I am of you. As I sat in Releif Society this past sunday watching and listening to you teach as your ward's newly called relief society president I was overcome with so much joy and happiness for you. President Sorensen sent you to me to train but you didn't need any training at all. You trained me and taught me more then you will ever know. You are still teaching me just by how diligent you are in serving and the way you love your sisters. Thank you for your example. I know you and DJ will have a wonderful life and will be blessed not only financially because well DJ is going to be a doctor and you are successful at your job but spiritually with the promptings of the spirit.. And especially after your lesson on prayer and the conversations we had coming home from Niagra Falls that the promptings of the spirit will not be difficult for you to understand and when you pray you will have that strongest feeling if it is right. Thanks for letting me spend most of my post bearing my testimony. Wow it has been along time since I have. I just had so much fun with you girls. Jen you sure know how to host us. Your meals were delicious and your hopitatlity was great I felt at home. Rebecca thanks for bieng my travel companion and I hope you had a nice early birthday staying overnight in Atlanta compliments from me. hee hee. Don't ever travel with a smith all chaos happens. Rebecca you are a spiritual giant to me. You have lots of knowledge and wisdom you share with me and for making me have courage to stand up to those Delta agents even though I don't have it in me to get mad at them. I hope Rebecca and Jen that we always have the fun times we do. Lets plan on the cabin getaway next winter. My turn to host. Love you guys! IPM sistas rule. WHO GOT THE MOST WET ON THE MAID OF MIST? Let's not forget! and Rawlings remember next time when you go to Honolulu where your priorities should be... the beach!!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

boy your quick....thanks for making me bawl (must be the cold meds??) Trip of a lifetime! Thanks!

montanawildflower said...

I cried the whole way though your post too. Who would have thought, you Smith, would be the sappy one. Thanks for all the nice words...you're WAY too nice. Love you and I CAN'T wait to hang out with my sistas again soon! :)

Kellie said...

I am jealous of you guys! sounds like you had a blast! Steph, thanks for being such a great example to me, i am grateful for the mission you served, case I would have never met you otherwise! you are such and amazing person, and full of so many qualities I wish I had...
YOU RULE

Kellie